I just bought a Chromebook. It was cheap, sort of an experiment in PC toys. It was the Samsung 306C. I like it a lot except there are problems connecting to Citrix and it doesn’t have an app from GOOD, both of which are used by my company. So I can’t use it for email at work, so it is pretty much a net-based toy.
I want something that lets me use Evernote to take notes at work that are synced across all of my devices. I want something that will run an Astrid app for keeping up with my to-do list and reminders while syncing across the net. And I need a good app to tap into the corporate email systems that doesn’t make them think I’m a TSA threat or otherwise subversive. Those features in a small form factor would allow me to to do my work.
So what then would make the perfect laptop?
- Weight around 2.5 pounds
- Chrome operating system that could also run Android apps
- Touchscreen with a retina equivalent display
- A HD camera for those late night Skype sessions
- A SSD hard drive of 128GB or better
- Native local file handling in Chrome
- Screen of around 11.5 inches
- Battery life of around 8 hours
I’ve tried Dells, Macs, a Galaxy Tab 2, and now a Chromebook. I want something that has the versatility of a tablet, with the file handling of a PC, and the screen resolution of a Mac. and don’t forget the touchscreen. I never thought I’d like it but I REALLY do.